Tuesday 25 September 2012

Contributions - Sep 2012

Dear Editor,

Recently I am fascinated by a TV program called “Test Your Brain”. This is a special series introducing the cognition of our brain, which is very much related to cognitive psychology. I think it would be right up in Psycholic’s alley, so I am writing up this contribution.
 
Image: natgeotv.com
“Test Your Brain” is a special series of National Geographic Channel. It contains three episodes only, and respectively they talk about perception, attention and memory. Stroop test and change blindness are examples of the topics they included. With entertaining and tricky demonstrations, it shows us how we are faked by the magicians and professionals. Many of the demonstrations have really come out of left field to me. Moreover, it uses detailed explanations to tell us the specific parts of brain related to the sensory illusions, which is somewhat related to biological psychology.
Image: downloadha.com

Watching the program is just like playing a brain game, to see how intelligent or stupid our brain is. I can still recall in one demonstration about perception, the demonstrator told us to watch carefully how he poured the water from two bottles alternately. I did as he said, and I totally neglected the absurd background, with three staff wearing animal suit walking around. When the “highlighted” demonstration is played, I stared with wide-eyes.

I would like to recommend this program to all psychology students and fans of psychology, as it applies the knowledge of cognitive psychology. It widens my horizon in the field. Currently this series is played on Pearl, on 3rd, 10th and 17th Sep at 21:30. If you have missed the program, you can still watch it with the following links:

Test Your Brain’s official site:

Yours Faithfully,
Venus Honey Lai =]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment