Friday 18 May 2012

SD3 - May 2012

Dan (host): Hi, I’m Dan. I am 25 now. I always find my timeline incomplete. Part of my memory is lost. I can’t recall where I was or what I did at some particular time. I find the things not in the places I usually store them, and I lose my belongings too. Sometimes I hear voices in my head, but I can’t spot out who do them belong to.
Danny (child alter): Hey buddy! Guess how old I am? I’m 8. I love eating snacks and play online games. French fries is my favorite.
Dang (the big brother): I come out to protect the others. I hate weak people. How can they be so weak? I fight the bad guys. I shall never let them hurt me.
Daniel (the persecutor): I am here to do harm on the other personalities. I cut and burn myself, and hide after I’ve done so. In this way, the other ‘selves’ will be harmed by me.
Danis (the helper): I direct the switching of the personalities. I help Dan do the things he cannot do, like hiding from his abusing parents.

Guess you already find plenty of clues on the topic. Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), formerly known as multiple personality disorder, is diagnosed with at least two alters (personalities) existing independently. The main ‘self’ may not know the other ‘selves’ exist. The alters may then emerge and integrate, forming new personalities.

That’s Not My Name!

Photo: GettyImages

The most famous case for DID may be Billy Milligan, who possess 24 characters. His full name is William Stanley Milligan. He was arrested in 1977 and imprisoned for raping three women in a university. Later on, he was diagnosed with the disorder and diverted to mental hospitals. It is interesting that some of his dissociated selves are female, with a wide variety of age range. You may wish to read “The Minds of Billy Milligan” for reference.

Some victims developed DID after trauma, especially if the trauma happened at small time. Taking the psychoanalytical view, it has something to do with repression, which the ‘self’ represses unwanted memory and feelings deep into subconscious. DID is also related with other disorders like PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), depression, substance abuse, etc.

If I ever got this disorder, I want the other personality of mine to be smart and outgoing. Most importantly, I hope she can help me out with the exercise, and also get my assignments done. What about you?




Venus Lai

References:

Kring, A.M., Johnson, S.L., Davison, G.C. & Neale, J.M. (2010). Abnormal Psychology (11th ed.). MA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Nolen, S. H. (2011). Abnormal Psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment