Monday 16 April 2012

PsyPanacea - Apr 2012

Write to Panacea and you might be answered! We want to wipe that frown off your face. Remember, all askers remain anonymous. Just drop your question into our mailbox, or write to us at salford.psy.hk@gmail.com. The Goddess awaits your worries and woes.

Kristen Pereira

Dear Panacea,

Almost every term, we have at least 4 assignments related to group work, including group presentations and reports. Somehow I always end up joining a group of 3 best friends. It’s strange being in a group with them because they always find places to meet that are convenient to THEM, hours convenient to THEM and work that’s convenient to THEM. It’s all about THEM. So what am I doing there? If I had other options, I’d definitely leave, but I don’t because all my classmates are already settled in their groups. Recently in our group project, I took on the most important task. On the day of assessment, things didn’t go exactly as planned and I felt as if everyone blamed me (rumors are that they do). But if they just cooperated more, things would have gone smoother. How do we become a better group without becoming one of their best friends? I really want to cooperate more and get higher grades for us all.

 -Birds of two kinds of feathers flocking together
 
Dear Feathers,

I see the problem here. One up front solution is to ask your professor to randomly assign the groups. But if you really want to come up with a strategy to have more ‘group cohesiveness’, I have a few tips for you. First, you must understand the term ‘social loafing’. This means that group members put in less effort when they are in groups than individually because the tasks are divided ‘equally’, or so they are supposed to be. Looks like yours aren’t. If you’re being handed down the work and you’re overloaded, just be truthful about it and refuse. Being soft won’t get you anywhere in life, my friend.

Secondly, it looks like since you’ve gotten yourself in a group of three best friends, since they think there’s going to be social loafing, they’re just waiting around for someone else to take up the task (someone else = you). They are more confident to leave it up to you. Before you start working on your assignment, you should sort out individual tasks, and delegate them equally. Also set a deadline before the due date so that you can all come together and check the work before submitting it. Therefore, no one can be individually blamed because the work has been approved by all relevant members.

These are only a few tips, but I hope they help. Good luck!

Photo: MichaelianMilitaryBand.blogspot.com

Dear Panacea,  

My brother recently failed his exams. This came as such a shock because he’s usually top of the class. Naturally, he came home very depressed. When I asked him why, he said it was not new. He’s been depressed lately.  It’s something I’ve noticed since his grades start dropping. Uncannily, I am more affected by it than he is. I keep blaming myself, for not helping him enough. Should I have tutored him more? Talked to him more? Encouraged him? My mom won’t take any initiative. That’s why I should have. What can I do to help my brother? (and myself)?  

-Bro in Tro

Dear Bro in Tro,

You haven’t told me how old your brother is, but if he’s got another chance, I’m quite sure he can regain his place in the class. You can never become unintelligent. If you are in a position to take care of him, you should definitely make some time for him and be a good sister.

As for you, I’d say there’s more to you blaming yourself than what is evident. You’re blaming yourself here. It is my belief that something in your past is causing you to do so. Have you always felt blamed for other people’s failures? Or for your own? You could be projecting yourself onto your brother too. Perhaps you wanted the same treatment when you failed at something.

Sit down with yourself for a while and have a nice, good think about why you’re feeling the way you are. And remember, your brother is still a kid. Kids are like springs, they can bounce back up. They’re more resilient than we give them credit for.

Photo: apophisonline.blogspot.com


References:
Q1.
Williams, R. (2012, March 31). How Teamwork Can Damage Productivity | Psychology Today. Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist. Retrieved April 2, 2012, from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201203/how-teamwork-can-damage-productivity

Q2.
Klein, M. (2012, March 30). My Son Was Rejected and I Can't Sleep | Psychology Today. Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist. Retrieved April 2, 2012, from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teen-doctor/201203/my-son-was-rejected-and-i-cant-sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment